Concern in Amherstburg over a requirement that the town submit plans on how it intends to spend $500,000 from a provincial settlement with Diageo, tied to the closure of the local bottling plant.
According to a report going to the May 25 council meeting, once a project is chosen, the town must send it to Diageo for review and next steps, which could include agreements or meetings.
Deputy Mayor Chris Gibb says reaction in the community has been strong.
“I’ve got to say, myself and many, many people in Amherstburg are a little bit upset. And I’ll go so far as to say insulted that we now have to ask permission from Diageo how to invest this $500,000 from the provincial settlement,” Gibb said.
In the report, staff suggest using the funds toward the Richmond Street sewer project or waterfront expansion, saying they align with Diageo’s criteria and don’t require additional town funding.
Gibb argues the money shouldn’t come with restrictions.
“Diageo representatives have suggested that we can only spend it on local economic development, community infrastructure, tourism, heritage, and culture. Well what if we want to donate it to a local food bank, or we want to donate it to retraining opportunities for people in Amherstburg?” he said.
Gibb added the town had no role in setting the terms of the deal.
“As far as I know this was the deal between the province and Diageo,” he said.
“There was no consultation with the Town of Amherstburg, as far as I’m aware of.”
Diageo announced the closure of the Amherstburg plant in August 2025, saying it was to improve its North American supply chain.
Premier Doug Ford had vowed to remove Crown Royal from the LCBO’s shelves following the plant closure if the company did not present a plan to keep some labour in Ontario.
In February, the province reached a $23 million agreement with Diageo, which included $1 million for Windsor-Essex for economic development and community projects.
The plant officially closed its doors on February 25.
